3 medium sweet potatoes (or 1.5 lbs)
2 + 6 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1 tbsp cornstarch
½-¾ cup granulated sugar (according to taste)
½-¾ cup light brown sugar (according to taste)
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp ground allspice
¼ tsp ground ginger
1 pinch salt
¼ cup evaporated milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp lemon juice
1 unbaked pre-made pie crust (or use the made-from-scratch pie crust recipe in my holiday cookbook, Island Soul Holiday Recipes)
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Wash the sweet potatoes, then use a fork to puncture holes all the way around them.
2) Spread 2 tbsp softened butter over the sweet potatoes, then bake on a baking tray for 1 hour.
3) Once baked, allow the sweet potatoes to cool.
4) Set the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Peel away the skin and scoop the flesh into a large mixing bowl. Use an electric mixer or hand mixer (or even a blender) to blend to sweet potatoes.
5) Add 6 tbsp softened butter to the sweet potato mixture. Mix well.
6) Add the eggs to the mixture. Mix well.
7) Add the cornstarch to the mixture. Mix well.
8) Add the granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, and salt to the mixture. Mix well.
9) Add the evaporated milk, vanilla extract, and lemon juice. Mix well.
10) Position the pie crust in a pie baking dish. Use a fork to gently pierce holes in the bottom of the crust.
11) Pour the sweet potato pie filling into the crust. Bake the pie for 55 minutes to 1 hour or until the pie sets and is lightly browned. Let it cool to room temp (or close to it) before serving.