TURKEY WING INGREDIENTS:
4.5 lb turkey wings (approx. 6 wings)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp all-purpose seasoning
1 tbsp + 1/4 tsp dry jerk seasoning
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp fresh green seasoning (there's a recipe in my e-cookbook, Island Soul Recipes Vol. 1)
2 tbsp wet jerk seasoning (OK to use store-bought, or try the recipe in my e-cookbook)
2 small yellow onions, sliced
1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
2 thyme sprigs
1 scotch bonnet, whole
4 garlic cloves, minced
6 tbsp butter
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
TURKEY WING INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Clean then drizzle the turkey wings with olive oil. Season the turkey wings with 1 tbsp each of all-purpose seasoning and dry jerk seasoning; 1 tsp each of garlic powder, onion powder, and smoked paprika; and 2 tbsp each of fresh green seasoning and wet jerk seasoning. Rub the seasonings into the wings well.
2) Place the seasoned wings in a large baking pan, and arrange the slices of 1 onion, 1/2 of a green bell pepper, and 2 thyme sprigs in the pan with the turkey wings. Also, place one whole scotch bonnet pepper in the pan. Cover the pan tightly with foil, and let it cook for 1.5 hours.
3) After 1.5 hours, baste the turkey wings, and put them back in the oven to continue to cook for another 30 minutes uncovered. During that time, start on the gravy.
4) For the gravy, melt 6 tbsp of butter in a pan on medium heat. Then, add the second onion that was sliced and cook until they begin to soften. Add the garlic and cook until everything becomes translucent and fragrant.
5) Gradually add the flour to the pan while whisking it into the butter to avoid flour lumps. Once everything is well incorporated and thickens, gradually add the chicken broth while continuing to whisk. Keep whisking until the color slightly begins to change a shade or two darker. Add 1/4 tsp of dry jerk seasoning, and incorporate well. (Taste the gravy and adjust seasoning to your liking.)
6) After the turkey has baked uncovered for 30 minutes, baste it and then pour the gravy over the turkey wings. Bake uncovered for another 30 minutes, after which, it should be ready.
BLACK-EYED PEAS & RICE INGREDIENTS:
1 cup dry black-eyed peas, rinsed
4 + 2 cups chicken broth
1 thyme sprig
2 garlic cloves, each cut in half
1/2 lb smoked pork - optional, but recommended
1 cup water
2 tbsp green seasoning
2 scallion stalks (chopped or whole)
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
2 cups jasmine rice (or long-grained rice of choice), rinsed
2 tbsp butter
BLACK-EYES PEAS & RICE INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Soak the rinsed peas in water for 4 hours or overnight.
2) Drain peas. Bring 4 cups of chicken broth to a boil. Add the smoked pork, thyme, and garlic to the pot, then add the peas. Boil on medium heat for 1 hour or until the peas are tender (i.e., can be easily pressed together between your fingers).
3) Once the peas are cooked, there should be about 1/2 to 1 cup of liquid remaining. (Feel free to drain and measure the liquid to know for sure, then add it back to the pot.) Add 2 additional cups of chicken broth, 1 cup of water, 2 tbsp of green seasoning, and the scallion to the pot; salt to taste, then bring everything to a boil.
4) Add 2 cups of rice to the pot, then add 2 tbsp of butter and stir. Once the pot comes to a boil again and the water begins to reduce, turn the heat to low, stir well to ensure nothing is sticking to the bottom of the pot, cover, and leave the rice to cook for 30 minutes.
5) After 30 minutes, turn off the heat completely. Do not remove the cover. Leave the rice to continue to steam on the hot (but off) burner for an 15 minutes.
6) Fluff the rice, then serve.