3 lbs chicken wings, separated into drums and flats
2 tsp Jamaican chicken seasoning
1 tsp seasoned salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp allspice or crushed pimento seeds
1 tbsp fresh green seasoning (optional; add another tsp of chicken seasoning)
1 tbsp Jamaican brown stew marinade (optional)
1 tsp ginger paste
½ small yellow onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 scallion stalk, chopped
3 thyme sprigs
½ scotch bonnet pepper, chopped (remove seeds for mild heat) – optional
3 tbsp cooking oil (vegetable or canola)
2 tbsp turbinado brown sugar
1 tsp Jamaican browning (add another tsp if not using a marinade)
1 tbsp ketchup
1 carrot, chopped into coins
¼ green bell pepper, chopped
¼ red bell pepper, chopped
3 cups chicken broth or stock
1) Clean and then season the chicken wings with all of the powdered seasonings, green seasoning, marinade, and ginger paste. Massage the seasonings into the chicken.
2) Cover the chicken wings in a lidded container or a bowl with cling wrap and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour (or overnight for best results).
3) Remove the seasoned chicken wings from the refrigerator 30 minutes before you plan to cook it.
4) Heat oil in a large pan (that comes with a cover for later use) on medium-high heat. Fry the chicken wings for about 5 minutes on each side.
5) Remove the chicken from the pan. Add another tbsp of oil if needed. When the oil is hot, add the brown sugar to the pan. When the sugar starts to bubble/caramelize, add the chicken back into the pan
6) Add the fresh onion, garlic, scallion, thyme, and scotch bonnet to the pan and enough broth or stalk to reach just below covering the contents of the pan.
7) Once everything comes to a rolling simmer, reduce the heat to medium and add the browning. Move the chicken around in the pan with a large cooking spoon to allow the browning to better distribute.
8) Cover and let the chicken wings continue to cook on medium heat for about 25 minutes. At the 20-minute mark, taste the gravy in case you need to adjust seasonings or thicken to your taste.
10) Once the chicken has cooked, turn off the heat and allow it to rest 5 minutes before serving.
Serve with rice & peas, white rice, or boiled food/ground provisions. Enjoy!