2 cups of milk of choice (my favorites to use are coconut milk or evaporated milk)
1/2 cup of additional milk or water
1/2 cup fine cornmeal
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp rose water (optional)
Sweetener of choice, to taste (I like to use about 1 tbsp of brown sugar and 1/3 can of condensed milk)
1) Warm 2 cups of milk in a small pot on medium heat. (Don't allow it to come to a boil.)
2) Mix the cornmeal with 1/2 cup of additional milk or water.
3) When the milk in the pot is warm, add the cornmeal mixture to it. Stir almost constantly. Once the porridge starts to thicken, turn the heat down to medium-low.
4) When the porridge begins to bubble a bit, stir in the spices and flavorings: cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, and rose water (optional). Adjust according to taste.
5) Turn off the heat and stir in your sweetener(s) of choice. If you wish to make your porridge a bit thinner, stir in some additional milk of choice.
Serve with fried dumplings, water crackers, or even saltfish fritters on the side. Enjoy!