1 cup self-rising flour
1 cup cornmeal
½ to ¾ cup granulated sugar (according to taste)
1 egg, beaten
¾ cup buttermilk
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
¼ cup canola oil
¼ cup mayo
¼ cup honey
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Put a 10-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven to heat.
2) Mix the flour, cornmeal, and sugar together in a large bowl.
3) Add the beaten egg, buttermilk, melted butter, canola oil, mayo, and honey to the dry mixture.
4) Mix everything together well until smooth, but don’t overmix.
5) Grease the hot skillet with butter or nonstick spray.
6) Add the cornbread batter to the skillet. Use a spatula to make the surface smooth.
7) Bake for 25 minutes or until golden.
Enjoy! Note: My extra-special holiday cornbread recipe calls for a different recipe that is another level! It’s in my Island Soul Holiday e-cookbook.