24 jumbo pasta shells (may not use all)
2 lbs ground turkey sausage
½ onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp seasoned salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 tsp Dano’s Cheesoning Seasoning – optional
2 tsp Italian seasoning
¼ tsp fennel seeds
2 tsp basil paste
2 large handfuls of spinach, roughly chopped
15 oz ricotta cheese
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ cup freshly chopped parsley
16 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
8 oz Italian blend cheese
8 oz grated parmesan cheese
2-3 cups marinara sauce (according to preference)
2 tbsp olive oil
1) Boil pasta shells in salted water 1-2 minutes shy of package instructions (just shy of al dente).
2) Heat olive oil a large pan on medium heat. Brown the turkey sausage in pan while breaking it down for about 5 minutes. Drain off excess oil and moisture.
3) Add the onion and garlic. Incorporate it into the sausage well. Season with seasoned salt, black pepper, cheesoning seasoning, Italian seasoning, fennel seeds, and basil paste. Cook for about 5 more minutes until fully cooked through. Remove from heat.
4) In a large bowl, add the ricotta, nutmeg, 3 tbsp of the parsley, and mix well. Then, mix in the cooked ground turkey sausage and half of the cheeses.
5) Cover the bottom of a casserole dish with 1 cup marinara sauce. Stuff 18-21 pasta shells with the turkey sausage & cheese mixture. (Some of the 24 will have broken while boiling, and that’s OK).
6) Arrange the shells in the casserole dish. Cover with the remaining marinara sauce, cheeses, then finally, parsley.
7) Bake in a 375-degree Fahrenheit oven for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.