2 cups water (or half water, half milk of choice - I used coconut milk for the pot)
Optional: cinnamon stick, star anise, bay leaf or cinnamon leaf
1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 cups plain oats
1 cup milk of choice (I used evaporated milk for the blend)
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp ground allspice
1 tsp vanilla extract
Optional: 1 tsp rose water, few drops of almond essence
Sweetener of choice such as condensed milk or brown sugar, to taste
Additional milk, if needed
1) Bring 2 cups of liquid (water or water/milk mix) to a boil.
2) In a cup or bowl, combine the oats with 1 cup of milk. Optional: Blend the oats and milk together for a smoother porridge consistency.
3) Reduce heat to medium-low once the liquid in the pot has boiled.
4) Stir the oats/milk mixture into the pot.
5) Once the oats begin to bubble, reduce the heat to low, then cover and let cook for 5-10 minutes (depending on whether you’re using quick oats or regular oats). Stir occasionally.
6) Once the oats are cooked, add the spices and flavorings to the porridge and combine well.
7) Add sweetener of choice to taste such as condensed milk or brown sugar. Stir well. If the porridge is too thick, stir in a little more milk.
8) Turn of the heat, let it sit for a couple of minutes, stir again, and serve.
Makes 2 bowls. Double or triple ingredients as needed. Enjoy!