16 oz box elbow macaroni
6 tbsp salted butter
4 tbsp sour cream
8 oz shredded mild cheddar cheese*
8 oz shredded medium cheddar cheese*
8 oz shredded Colby Jack cheese*
8 oz mozzarella cheese*
1.5 cup (or 1 can) evaporated milk
½ cup heavy cream
1 tsp seasoned salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp black pepper
*Since a cheese sauce is not required for this recipe, while grating your own cheese is still ideal, it is optional.
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Boil macaroni according to package instructions in heavily salted water until al dente, drain, and pour into a large casserole dish or baking pan.
2) Add the salted butter, sour cream, and half of the cheeses to the macaroni. Mix well. Season with the salt, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and black pepper. Mix well again.
3) In a bowl, whisk the eggs into the evaporated milk and heavy cream to make a custard. Pour half of the mixture into the mac & cheese, and mix. Then add half of the remaining cheeses, and mix. Then pour the remainder of the custard slowly while mixing until you achieve a thick but creamy mac & cheese that is moist, but not too soupy. (If you have a few tablespoons of custard remaining, that is OK. Or, add a few tablespoons of milk if you desire more liquid.)
4) Sprinkle the remainder of the cheeses on top of the mac & cheese. (Optional: Sprinkle paprika over the cheese layer to enhance the color while baking.)
5) Bake uncovered at 375 for 35-40 minutes or until the mac & cheese is golden and bubbly. Remove from the oven, and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before digging in.