1 lb fresh ginger root
8 cups water
1 cinnamon stick
1 or 2 limes (according to taste)
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup white sugar (or according to taste)
1 tbsp rice (to help extend shelf life)
2 cups sparkling water (more if desired, or use regular water if you completely don't want any fizz)
1. Clean, partially peel, then grate the ginger. Bring 8 cups of water to a boil. Add the ginger to the boiling water along with the cinnamon stick and cloves.
2. Reduce the heat to low, and allow the pot to come to a low simmer (should take no more than 5 minutes).
3. Once the liquid comes to a low simmer, turn off the heat. Add the juice of 1 or 2 limes and 1 lemon to the hot, steeping mixture. Then, stir in the brown and white sugar, and add the rice.
4. Allow the pot to completely cool, then transfer the mixture the refrigerator to finish steeping overnight.
5. Use a cheesecloth to strain the mixture into a separate bowl, then stir in two cups (or more) of sparkling water.
Yields 64 fl. oz. Adjust water and sugar to your taste.
Serve chilled, and enjoy!