3 small green bananas
1 cup of water
½ cup 5-minute oats
1 can evaporated milk (regular or coconut)
¼ cup additional milk of choice
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp allspice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp rose water (optional)
Sweetener of choice (I use brown sugar and condensed milk)
1) Place the water in a small pot and set on the stove on medium heat.
2) Wash, peal, and cut up the bananas.
3) Place the bananas into a blender with the oats and half of the can of evaporated milk. Blend until smooth.
4) Once the water comes to a light boil, pour the blended banana and oats mixture into the water and stir aggressively with a whisk (preferred) or a wooden spoon until well combined. Add the additional evaporated milk, and stir until smooth.
5) Once smooth, reduce the heat to just above the low setting. Cover and let it cook for 5 minutes.
6) After 5 minutes, uncover and stir aggressively to ensure the porridge remains smooth and reaches your desired consistency. If it’s too thick for you, stir in additional milk of choice (1/4 cup should be enough). Note: If you plan to sweeten your porridge with condensed milk, you’ll want it to remain a little thick, as the condensed milk will make the consistency a bit thinner. You can always add more regular milk afterwards if you need to.
7) Once the porridge reaches your desired consistency and is smooth, add the spices and flavorings: cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, and rose water. Stir until well combined, then turn off the heat.
8) Add your sweetener of choice. (I used about 2 tbsp of brown sugar and ¼ can of condensed milk.) Stir until well combined. Adjust the flavor to your taste, if needed.
Serves 2 to 3.
Serve hot with warm coco bread, hard dough bread, or water crackers, if desired. Enjoy!