2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1.5 tsp salt
2 tbsp fine yellow cornmeal (optional)
1.5 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp salted butter
1/2 cup cold milk
1/4 cup water (might not use all)
Vegetable oil for frying
1) Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cornmeal, and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
2) Add the butter to the flour mixture in a bowl, and work it in with a fork. Next, add the milk a little bit at a time then the water a little bit at a time while bringing the dough together until you can form a soft ball of dough that’s not too sticky.
3) Let the dough rest for at least 20 minutes.
4) Heat oil in a skillet (enough to be able to shallow fry the dumplings).
5) Kneed the dough for a couple minutes, then separate it into even pieces (approximately 10-12). Roll the pieces of dough into balls with your hands, then place them on a clean flat surface and roll them out (like you're rolling a rolling pin) into long strips. Tie them into knots for frying.
6) Fry in vegetable oil on medium-low heat until golden brown.