4 medium-large yams/sweet potatoes (or about 3 lbs)
½ cup salted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup brown sugar
½ tbsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1) Clean, peel, and slice the sweet potatoes. (You may opt to boil them for 5-10 minutes in water with a pinch of salt before baking to decrease the baking time.)
2) Arrange the sliced sweet potatoes in a large baking dish or pan.
3) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
4) Melt butter in a pot on medium heat. Add the sugars, spices, salt, and vanilla and mix until well combined. It should only take a couple minutes.
5) Pour the mixture over the sweet potatoes and mix to coat well.
6) Cover the candied yams and bake for about 1hr+15min to 1.5hrs or until tender to your liking, basting every 20 minutes. (Note: If you opted to parboil the sweet potatoes, it’ll need less oven time. Just check them whenever you baste.)
7) Remove from the oven to rest for 10 minutes before serving.