3 cups long-grain white rice (such as Jasmine rice)
1-13.5 oz can callaloo, drained and rinsed
½ small yellow onion, chopped
2 scallion stalks, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
½ scotch bonnet pepper, seeds removed, sliced – optional
2 sprigs thyme
½ tsp pimento seeds, crushed
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 cups coconut milk
2.5 cups water
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp butter
1) Prep seasonings, then heat coconut oil in a medium-large pot on medium heat.
2) Sauté the onion, scallion, garlic, scotch bonnet pepper, thyme, and pimento for 1-2 minutes until fragrant and onions are translucent.
3) Add callaloo and sauté for another 3-5 minutes. Add rice and incorporate well.
4) Add coconut milk and water. Stir well, then bring to a low simmer.
5) Add butter. Stir once more, then reduce heat to low and let steam for 25 minutes.
6) Turn heat off completely, and move pot to a cool burner. Let stand covered to allow rice to steam for an additional 10 minutes. Remove lid, fluff, and serve.