3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into bite-sized pieces
1 tbsp turmeric
2 tsp salt
2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
2 tbsp ginger paste
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp lemon juice
3/4 cup full-fat coconut yogurt
4 tbsp butter or ghee
1/2 onion, diced
1 tsp curry powder (optional)
6 oz tomato paste
6 oz chicken stock
1 tbsp sugar
1.5 cup heavy cream
1 packet of Saźon w/ coriander and annatto ~1.5 tsp (optional)
1 tbsp green seasoning (optional)
1) Season the chicken with the turmeric, salt, garam masala, cumin, chili powder, ginger, garlic, lemon juice, and yogurt. Combine well. Marinate overnight (or a few hours).
2) Heat a large pan on medium heat. Add the butter. Add the onion, and you can opt to add 1 tsp of curry powder and sauté for about 30 seconds to a minute.
3) Add the marinated chicken, distributing it as evenly as possible in the pan. After about 4 or 5 minutes, turn the chicken pieces over in the pan.
4) After another 3 minutes, mix the tomato paste, chicken stock, and sugar together and add it to the cooking chicken. Then, add the heavy cream. Stir well, and add the saźon (optional). Stir well again, cover, and let cook on medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
5) Stir in green seasoning if desired. Finish cooking uncovered for another 10-15 minutes so the sauce can thicken, stirring occasionally. Garnish with cream and cilantro.
Serve with white rice and/or naan. Enjoy!