2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp fine yellow cornmeal (optional)
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp softened salted butter
1/2 cup water (or use 1/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup water), more or less
Vegetable oil for frying
1) Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cornmeal, and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
2) Add the softened butter to the flour mixture in a bowl, and incorporate it well. Then, add water a little bit at a time, and bring the dough together you can form a ball that’s not too sticky.
3) Let the dough rest for at least 20 minutes.
4) Heat oil in a skillet (enough to be able to shallow fry the dumplings).
5) Separate the dough into even pieces (approximately 10). Roll the pieces of dough into balls with your hands, then flatten them slightly to roughly ¾ inch.
6) Fry on medium-low heat on all sides until golden brown.